Friday, October 29, 2010

Strengthsfinder 2.0



Many people truly believe in nasihat like "you can achieve anything if you try hard (enough)" as we grown up. Movies of underdog outperform favorite always the bestseller.

Instinctively, I just can't figure out why am I feel odd for this. I put in some thought before and also posted on my facebook status. I also wrote something like
THIS, tHiS and thIS in my old entries. Over time, my thought was swinging back and forth.



Last month I read a book called Strengthsfinder 2.0...I instantly knew that was an answer I am looking for when I read it. There is no old maxim of trying hard enough and you can be anything. Instead, it says:

You cannot be anything you want to be -- but you can be a lot more of who you already are.

It contains extra respect and recognize no one will achieve the same magnitude with the same method using the same way of measurement. If one is to say this is a successful life as a whole, it must be the way you approach your life with utter respect and dignity, live fully to the potential of life with resources and chances available, which is different to everyone.

I know there is a lot of motivation camp for sales, marketing or financial planner. But one thing I really don't like is (at least that's an impression / bias I have), they always employ one method and apply to all different individual. Trying hard and keep trying with more determination is a recipe for success. I agree they are valuable strength, however, not supposed to be misplaced.

If you are a bird, then flip your wing hard and fly high; If you are a horse, then gallop and run fast; If you are a fish, then swim fast and swim deep.

If flying is not your natural talent or strength, ie, not a bird, you don't have to feel inferior just because you can't fly. Even with the athleticism of Michael Jordan, he can't replicate his achievement in baseball, why?

The most important thing is to know who you (already) are, what you can do well and what you can't.

Then develop according to your own strengths, and be determined.

No comments: