Saturday, June 26, 2010

Traveler

I am, by theory, a traveler of the world, via the eyes of books. I read a lot since I was a kid, and I perceived it as I've been there myself. It hardly occurs to me that I am a mere second hand reader through the eyes of other people in practical until I really have the chance to travel for business.

Looking back myself, despite a "frequent traveler" back and forth between Singapore and Ipoh after my university days, the only time now I considered myself traveling was when I went to Hong Kong / China when I was 15. And the other time when I flied on Air Asia to Sabah for graduation trip.

That was effectively a sum of of my traveling history by age of 27. Sure I've been in places like Redang and Cameron and what not, but none of them have me feeling the sense of exposure owe to traveling itself. Like, it is just another beach, or another highland.

Maybe I am too young then.

I was checking my account, the record standing at about 250,000 km, considering this represent returning distance, I have traveled 120,000km to date. I am doing this because I am calculating my left over mileage available for free ticket claim Singapore Airline has owe me. And the reason i am calculating is because I am soon stop flying, to take a rest on (frequent) traveling, perhaps for the next 4-5 years.

120,000km is a milestone, that I've travel so much. And it is always eventful, from the snow, cyclone, local food, local strange practice, "special" hospitality, missing train, exotic experience, airport security grill, all kind of air-stewardess and all kind of unexpected incidents.

Maybe it is time for me to go back on the books, before I travel again.

And travel more than 120,000km.

No comments: